Pacific Design Academy | Emily Carr University of Art and Design | Nova Scotia College of Art and Design | IADT
Other key points
- Admission usually requires a portfolio. A portfolio has to reflect your creativity and individuality. It can include paintings, sketches, write ups, videos, acting, etc.
- Most design institutions require a 4 year Diploma qualification, if one wishes to apply for a Master’s Programme. This again does not have to necessarily have to be design orientated, but it works in your favour if it is.
Job opportunities are many when one studies design. Almost every enterprise requires a certain number of designers to work behind them in order to sell. You can work with big companies like Pedigree, Vodafone, Tupperware, Kraft, Ogilvy and Mather, FabIndia, etc. and design for them. You can also work with small scaled companies and entrepreneurs who need expertise. Further, freelancing is a major development in designing. One can freelance as they study. It usually involves small design projects and it help earn and build experience.
Jobs & Salary
Getting a job is usually the last thing on the minds of students studying Visual Designing courses since they sell like hot cakes. Most students get jobs through campus placements unless they choose not to work for anyone else except themselves.
- Advertising Agencies – Saatchi& Saatchi, Ogilvy and Mather
- Publishing Houses – Scholastic, Arrow Books, etc.
- Film Production Houses
- Magazines like Femina, Outlook, India Today, Savvy, You & I, etc.
- Newspapers – Times of India, Deccan Chronicle, etc.
- Reliance, Nokia, Vodafone, Pantaloons, FabIndia, Zodiac,etc.
Pros & Cons
- Job opportunities all around the world
- Creative endeavours
- Large number of career opportunities in various fields like Journalism, Photography, working with websites, stores, advertising, commodity design, etc.
- Business Skills like working with clients, working with teams, research and development, etc.
- Quick starting career.
- Design is extremely strenuous and comes with a lot of expectation which sometimes leads to criticism.
- What you earn depends on your passion and drive. A salary does not come easy.
- Constant competition is a driving force for betterment. However, it makes success difficult.