Design Engineers: They are responsible for the design aspect of a vehicle. Simply put, they make the vehicle look good. Design engineers primarily work toward developing the visual appearance of a vehicle and also are involved in the concept design. A familiarity with the intricate details of the hydraulic, electrical, and mechanical systems inside a vehicle is a must.
Development Engineers: They work toward improving efficiency of existing vehicles and developing new ones. Among other things they organize tasks like automobile level testing, its validation and certification. They mainly research and find solutions to engineering problems.
Automotive engineering is an exciting field that combines creativity with scientific principles. There are many colleges across the world that imparts quality education in this course. Following are some of the top colleges in India and popular study destinations abroad:
Automotive Engineering in India
- Design new vehicles or revise existing ones
- Research and develop in finding solutions to engineering problems
- Plan and design new vehicles.
Besides this, automotive engineers are also involved in testing vehicles. This includes checking the break system, interaction with the ABS (anti-lock braking system), automobile weight, handling, transmission, other safety measures etc. They develop new test procedures for the vehicles, using both conventional and innovative methods.
Jobs & Salary
As an automotive engineer, you could choose to be:
- Engineering Technicians
- Safety Engineering
- Emissions Research
- NVH ( Noise, Vibration and Harshness) Engineers
- Performance Engineer
- Vehicle Dynamics Controller
- Operations Research
- PSA Peugeot-Citroen
- L & T
- Ashok Leyland
- Mahindra & Mahindra
- Bajaj Auto
Pros & Cons
- This is a very stable career
- In time you can also open your own auto body/mod shop
- There is a reasonable earning potential
- Constant improvement is expected
- The job can sometimes be stressful because of long work hours
- Working Conditions may not always be good