- Environmental engineering
- Geotechnical engineering
- Structural engineering
- Transportation engineering
- Municipal or urban engineering
- Surveying a site.
- Plotting out designs or plans of structures.
- Constructing structures e.g. buildings, bridges, highways, tunnels, dams.
- Maintaining or repairing previously built structures.
Civil Engineering is an indispensable stream of engineering. There are various colleges in India and abroad that impart quality education in this field. Following are some of the best colleges in India and the popular study destinations across the world:
Civil Engineering in India
To study civil engineering in India, you have to take up and excel in subjects like Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry in 10+2. Selection in graduate courses like B.E / B. Tech in civil engineering is based on the marks secured in the final exams of 10+2 and the performance in entrance exams. The entrance exam for the IITs is JEE and for other major institutions is the JEE – Mains. Other private institutions have their own separate entrance exams..
Jobs & Salary
A civil engineer can work as a:
- Consulting engineer – They are those who work on the design stage of a project, collaborating with architects and other professionals.
- Contracting Civil Engineer – This is someone who oversees the actual construction. They deal with practical issues such as procuring materials and meeting deadlines, and helping to resolve any problems that may arise.
- Maintenance engineer – Basically employed to maintain equipment and machinery used in manufacturing processes. This involves regular checking and monitoring, and overseeing the replacement, or upgrading of equipment.
Civil engineers can find work in the government sectors like the railways, the defence forces, National Highway Authority of India, government development authorities like the DDA and government housing authority, BHEL and many more. Following are some of the other well-known brands which hire civil engineers:
- Gammon India Ltd.
- Hiranandani Construction Pvt. Ltd.
- Jaypee Group
- Larsen and Toubro
Pros & Cons
- The work is challenging and the scope of growth is immense in a developing society.
- You derive the satisfaction of seeing your masterpieces.
- The pay is good and comes with many benefits.
- The construction business is vulnerable to fluctuations in the economy.
- Civil engineers often work in varied settings shifting from posh modern offices to construction sites in remote areas.