- Phonetics and phonology
- Language contact and sociolinguistics
- Historical linguistics
There are many top colleges across the globe which offers this course. We have come up with a comprehensive table of the best countries and colleges along with the study duration and annual fees.
INDIASt. Stephen’s College | Lady Shri Ram College for Women | St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai
- Language Teacher
- Dialect Coach
Jobs & Salary
There are many companies which hire linguist for a variety of functions. Fortune 500 organisations, government agencies like foreign ministries, and hospitals hire linguists every year in a variety of roles. Following are some examples of the kind of companies that hire linguists:
- Anthropological Survey of India
- IT Companies like Infosys, TCS, and Wipro.
- BPOs like JP Morgan Chase, WNS etc.
- Indian Embassies around the world
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs - India
Pros & Cons
- Teach classes for just 9 months out of a year
- Government sponsored travel to different countries
- Present papers at international conferences
- Job security
- The title of emeritus is awarded to you, once you retire
As with any other career, Linguistics has certain disadvantages as well.
- Salary is initially low
- Fewer opportunities to teach
- High level of study
- Its niche career